Sunday, May 13, 2012

Alveston 100k

With my new found awesomeness upon completing a 300k you would think I would laugh at a mere 100k however I have done this ride a couple of times and it is (a) a nice, scenic ride, (b) local to me and (c) suitable for riding fixed or single speed*. I decided to ride to the start, it's about 17 miles away, and to make it a bit more challenging I would ride it on my Day One.
Saturday dawned sunny, if chilly and slightly windy and at 7.30am, I set off for Alveston for the start. A good turn out of about 100 riders left at 9.30 sharp for a blast around the wild of Gloucestershire.



Not a cloud in the sky as we wait for the off

A somewhat undulating 20 miles, including a pig of a climb somewhere around the Somerset monument saw us at Tetbury for the first control. More dodging of badly driven, huge 4-wheel drive Audi's saw the second control at the Daneway inn at Sapperton along with a dawning realisation that this ride wasn't quite as flat as I remembered!



The Daneway inn, Sapperton-

A stiff climb (10%) back the way we came and we cross a huge oilseed rape plantation heading into a stiff headwind before a steady climb (it's that word again) along the valley that time forgot.



A nice view across the valley that time forgot

I was decidedly hungry now and the Hunters Hall pub was a welcome site (although a wedding in the nearby village meant the last 1/2 mile was slow progress ass we weaves through double parked BMW's and women in ridiculous high heels clip clopping down the road).
Suitably fuelled up (I brought sandwiches), a climb up to Wooton under edge, a treacherous decent on freshly laid stone clippings with BMW"s and AUDI's blasting past at 40+ mph (a temporary 20 mph limit being in force) and showering us with pebbles and another steep and long climb before a fast decent and a nice run into the finish at the Cross Hand Pub in Alveston. It was a beautiful afternoon and it was a shame not to enjoy the surroundings so electrolyte replacement drinks where enjoyed in the beer garden (in the sun!) before setting off back home.



A pint of Maiden Voyage electrolyte replacement drink, the Day
One is in the background.


A swift run back along national cycle route 41 saw me back home in time for the Voice (groan) and a nice 100 miles covered. The Day One ran faultlessly and the new Carradice Maxi saddlebag performed as expected.

* no it isn't, it's bloody hilly!

Anyway, here's the Garmin details. -Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment