Friday, February 18, 2011

New Shoes

My trusty old Shimano cycling shoes finally gave up the ghost this week after 10 years of sterling service which left me in a bit of a dilemma, what should I replace them with? For a long while I was a fan of team kit and would go to great lengths to get matching jerseys, shorts, socks etc but of late I have become a fan of good quality retro kit (merino wool jerseys and the like) so my search began for a suitable pair of shoes. Now ideally, I would like to tell you I bought a pair of Dromarti Sportive shoes but at £145 a pair, I fear I didn't. Instead, after much deliberation, I purchase a pair of Exhustar Stelvio 707 shoes from SJS Cycles. I ordered them on Wednesday, SJS e-mailed me to say they where dispatched on Thursday and Parcel Force duly attempted to deliver them today (rant why do they try to deliver during working hours? I know it's cheaper but honestly! Rant over). Luckily, they dropped the parcel off at my local Post Office so by 4.30 this evening, I was clunking around the house in my new shoes. Brilliant. Very smart they are too, check out the picture:






OK, so not the best picture (I took it on my phone) but they seem to be well constructed and certainly look the part.

Searching the forums revealed that, like Shimano shoes, they do tend to come up small. I normally fall somewhere between a UK 8.5 and 9 so I took advice and ordered a UK 9.5. The shoes seem to fit well, they are narrow and long (I have about 2cm to spare in the toe box, which is ideal for me) but I would recommend trying before you buy if you can.

I haven't worn them on the bike yet but shall try them out on Sunday and report back.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment